What's it all about?

We’re all about expression

The Art Department is a successful and thriving area of St Cuthbert’s. Students are encouraged to develop their artist skills and experiment with different media and styles.

The Art Department works closely with local Colleges and each year our students attend workshops run by them and local artists. Our students make visits to galleries, including institutions in Liverpool and public Art at Crosby Beach. Students have worked collaboratively with Sixth Form Colleges around St Helens and had workshops delivered by Artists within Art Club, which is available to students on most schooldays, just after school.

Art is a popular subject at KS4 with around 100 students choosing to do Fine Art/Graphic Design as an option. There are two dedicated classrooms and an ICT suite; which is used mainly for pupil support within the Department.

The GCSE is assessed by way of an exhibition of work at the end of the course where coursework projects must be displayed, as well as an examination piece. The examination piece is valued at 40% of the final mark, coursework making up the other 60%.

The Team

Mr Marcus Kersey-Brown
Curriculum Leader Art

Miss Liza Alhadad
Teacher of Art

Mrs Bethany Anders
Art Technician

Art Curriculum Overview

Students will study All About Me (Frida Kahlo and self portraits) and The Power of Colour (Georgia O'Keeffe and Karl Blossfeldt).

Students will study "The Price of Fame" collage and portrait (Pop Art) followed by Savtcnenko figures drawing and painting by artist Ekatherina Savtchenko.

Year 9 Curriculum under review.

Students will follow Art Skills & Critical Studies Foundation Course followed by GCSE Internally set Unit 1 topics and Unit 2 topics.

In their final year, students will complete the GCSE Internally set Unit 2 topic and then complete their externally set unit in their final exam.

More Sections