Young Writers Competition Winners
31 January 2016
For the second year running, students at St Cuthbert's have been successful in the Young Writers national short story writing competition.
Twenty Five Year Seven students wrote mini-sagas on the theme of Spine Chillers in their English lessons and submitted them for this prestigious national story writing competition.
Last week school and parents were informed that they had been successful, receiving bookmarks and certificates.
All the mini-sagas are due to be published in a special anthology, Spine Chillers - Cheshire and Merseyside. A copy of this will be sent to the British Library and further libraries across the UK and Republic of Ireland, providing a lasting record of their achievement.
The 25 students will now be entered for a national competition where the top 5 writers will each receive a Kindle Fire HD. The school itself will be judged alongside other schools and the prizes for the best schools are £1,000 first prize, £500 second prize and £250 third prize.
Allie Jones, Editor of the Young Writers project said, "This is a great achievement. You and your students should feel very proud of what they have achieved."
The list of students and their short story titles is:
- Josh Scott - The Flickering Light
- Heather Lloyd - No Way Out: The Abandoned House
- Madelyn Yates - Will She Survive?
- Faye Llewellyn - Alone
- Elyse Morrison - The Twist Of Beauty And The Beast
- Molly Rowson - The Photograph
- Rosey Lever - She's In The Walls
- Keane Gilford - The Wardrobe Of Horror
- Jessica Foy - The Pripyat Funfair
- Sam Ledwith - The Woods
- Chloe Maudsley - Marked!
- Lauren Hesketh - Ghost Piano
- Liberty-Jade Speakman - Sudden Death
- Rebecca Nolan - Red Riding Blood
- Hannah Lynch - The Auntie
- Matthew Scott - The Walk
- Kiera Darracott - The Woman Under The Bed
- Stuart Ridgway - The Unearthly Graveyard
- Rebecca Lawton - Stage Fright
- Dominic Twiss - The Lane
- Charlie Owen - Halloween
- Thomas Woods - Death Trap
- Luke Cardall - Insane
- Chloe Abbott - "Hello?"
- Ellie Connor - "A Night To Remember"